Women in Business & Law
DATE & TIME
This program is designed for women in:
• General Counsel
• Senior In-House Counsel
• Law Firm Leadership
• Board Members
• Executives that made the leap from legal to line…or who would like to
• Legal Technology
• Legal Recruiting
• Advisory Services
Agenda & Speakers:
8:30-9:00 Registration and Breakfast
9:00-9:15 Welcome and Program Goals
Kristin Calve: Founder and Publisher, Corporate Counsel Business Journal
9:15-10:00 Pathways to Leadership: Unique and Universal Approaches
- Know thyself – what is your brand?
- Embrace fear, take the risk and ask the question
- Identifying opportunities that arise out of crisis
- Nothing can substitute for the highest quality work product
- Work hard
- Seeking out constructive feedback to continuously improve your skill set
- Humor as an offensive and defensive tactic
- Re-invent yourself when the time is right
- Transitioning to a role in
- Corporate law department
- Law firm
- Business unit
- Public company board of directors
- Change is good as long as you stay true to yourself
- Understanding the demands of a leadership role: building your team, strategy, growth, innovation and driving revenue
- Anticipate future business of your company, your firm and your clien
Sandra Leung: Executive Vice President & General Counsel, Bristol-Myers Squibb
Margaret Poster: Former COO, Willkie Farr & Gallagher; Member, Board of Directors, Cowen, Inc.
Stephanie E. Parker: Partner, Jones Day
10:00-10:45 Taking the Leap: Courage and Change
- GC to GC – CAO – CLO – President of Business Unit
- Partner to GC
- In-house counsel to business unit head
- Value of mentorship
- The power of saying YES
- Being open to global opportunities
Lucy Fato: Executive Vice President and General Counsel, AIG
Alice Kane: Counsel, Clifford Chance; former Group General Counsel, Zurich Insurance Group and New York Life Insurance Company, EVP in Charge of NY Life Asset Management, President, American General Funds
Kimberly Chainey: General Counsel, Panasonic Avionics Corporation
11:00-12:00 How to Get on Public and Private Company Boards
- Overview of the current public company board make up
- Why are there so few women on public boards today?
- What can companies gain by having women serve on their boards?
- What are the differences and similarities in private, public and non-profit boards?
- What concrete next steps can you take to prepare to be on a board?
- Tips on creating a board ready biography
- What are boards looking for?
- How can you be noticed in a crowded field?
- Future for women on boards (CA SB 826, etc.)
Catherine Zinn: Chief Client Officer, Orrick
David Greenberg: Chair - Governance and Risk Assessment Committee & Member - Audit Committee, International Seaways (NYSE: INSW)
12:00-1:00 Engaging Men to Advance Women in the Profession
Join Ingrid Busson-Hall, Senior Director and Head of Financial Crimes Advisory and Workplace Relations at PayPal and Carrie H. Cohen, partner in Morrison & Foerster’s Investigations + White Collar Defense Group and co-chair of the Workplace Investigations Misconduct Task Force, for an interactive discussion about topics related to advancing women in the legal profession through leveraging men as allies.
They will cover topics such as:
- How men and women can work together to advance Diversity and Inclusion
- How to be an ally, sponsor and mentor while understanding the similarities and differences of those terms
- How to engage men in the conversation
Ingrid Busson-Hall: Senior Director, Head of Financial Crimes Advisory and Workplace Relations, PayPal
Carrie H. Cohen: Partner, Morrison Foerster
Russell C. Deyo: former General Counsel, Johnson & Johnson; Deputy Secretary and Under Secretary of Management, US Department of Homeland Security
2:00-3:00 Talent Management – Cultivating and Keeping Your Intellectual Capital Assets
Louise Firestone: SVP and General Counsel, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton Inc.
Marcy Sharon Cohen: General Counsel and Managing Director, ING Financial Holdings Corp.
Sharis A. Pozen: Partner, Clifford Chance: former Vice President of Global Competition Law and Policy, GE
3:00-3:15 Afternoon Break
3:15-4:15 Getting a Seat at the Table: Leveraging Your Personal Brand
- Comfort with self-promotion
- Showcasing business development
- Leveraging your network
- Developing presence
AnnBeth Eschbach: President, kindbody
Jennifer Recine: Partner, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
4:15-5:15 Ethics, Integrity and the Value of Respect
- The NEW measure of diversity
- How a person identifies
- Human connectivity
Stacey Babson-Smith: Vice President, Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer, Terex Corporation
Paulette Brown: Senior Partner and Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Lock Lord LLP; Past President of the American Bar Association
Marsha Ershaghi Hames: Managing Director, Strategy and Development, LRN
5:15 Cocktail Reception
DATE & TIME