The Association of the Bar of the City of New York (ABCNY) on Wednesday, July 20 has scheduled a CLE seminar titled Current Ethical Issues; Lawyer Regulation in the 21st Century.
The featured speaker will be Stephen Gillers, the Emily Kempin Professor of Law at the New York University School of Law.
Some of the topics he plans to address include:
- In-house lawyers wearing two (or more) hats - risks to the privilege;
- The New York twist on confidentiality rules;
- Sarbanes-Oxley and the new SEC rules;
- How to write a consent to future conflicts that will stand up if challenged;
- Settlements conditioned on a lawyer's agreement not to sue the defendant again;
- Seven important conflict of interest rules to keep you out oftrouble;
- Multijurisdictional practice, or is a New York lawyer still a lawyer in Connecticut, and vice versa?
- The misdirected fax - what should you do with it, and what if you send one?
- "Just the facts please" - a checklist for corporate investigations;
- Candor to the court - what you don't say can hurt you.
The program will take place from 9 a.m. to noon at the House of the Association, 42 West 44th Street, New York City.
For details on registration fees and available CLE credits, see the Bulletin Board on The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel website at www.metrocorp counsel.com.
For reservations, call (212) 382-6663 or visit www.abcny.org.